CBT-I Clinical Training Manual, Webinar, and Certification
Insomnia is the most prevalent sleep disorder. It affects 15-33% of the population with even higher prevalence rates in the elderly and clinical populations. CBT-I improves sleep in 70-80% of patients, is more effective than sleeping pills and reduces or eliminates sleeping pills in the vast majority of patients, and doubles the improvement rates of depression compared to antidepressant medication alone in depressed patients with insomnia. It also improves other co-morbidities including pain and fibromyalgia, substance abuse, PTSD, and menopausal hot flashes.
CBT-I is now considered the first-line treatment for chronic insomnia due to its superior long-term efficacy, lack of side effects, and patient preference compared to sedative-hypnotics, which are associated with significant side effects and risks. These include impaired daytime alertness, driving, memory, and cognition; dependency and addiction; overdose and suicide risk because they are often used in combination with opioids or alcohol; traumatic brain injury, falls and fractures, and emergency room visits; and, elevated mortality risk in almost three dozen studies. However, there is a dire shortage of clinicians and sleep clinics with expertise in CBT-I due to a scarcity of training opportunities in this area.
For all clinicians and professionals who see clients or patients and wish to develop expertise in CBT-I, Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs, a behavioral sleep medicine specialist and CBT-I expert, offers a CBT-I clinical training manual, a two hour webinar that accompanies the manual, and CBT-I certification. This is the only CBT-I manual and webinar currently available that provides a state-of-the-art, empirically validated CBT-I five session protocol and CBT-I certification.
Several thousand clinicians have been trained in CBT-I with Dr. Jacobs’ clinician training manual and webinar. A sample of their testimonials:
- I am thrilled to recently complete your training in CBT-I. Many colleagues have spoken positively both about the training experience and its efficacy. I look forward to implementing it in clinical practice.
- I have had a 100% success rate in clients who have completed the CBT-I program! I am so thrilled to have this opportunity to assist my clients.
- We have two clinicians trained through your CBT-I program. We are currently teaching the program with wonderful success and have a large number of patients on a long waiting list to get into the class!
- Highly recommended, incredibly well organized CBT-I training. You will be fully equipped to seamlessly put this life changing protocol of CBT-I immediately into clinical practice. This will dramatically change the health and quality of life for so many of my patients.
- This was a great course that provided all the information and materials to allow for the immediate use of CBT-I in my practice. Everything was organized. I highly recommend it to anyone in clinical practice.
- This training ranks very high in my experience, in the amount of useful information effectively presented in a concise format. It had just the right balance of technical instruction and review of supporting research. Dr. Jacobs provided a complete, efficient, well-organized training in a protocol that I can begin implementing in my practice immediately.
- I want to thank you for this CBT-I training. I would highly recommend it others. It’s amazing to see how far the field of insomnia treatment has come. You’ve made a big contribution to the field. Thank you.
- This CBT-I training was excellent. It was well-structured and clear, and covered both theory and clinical application of this empirically sound and effective treatment. The knowledge and useful skills, as well as materials provided, exceeded my expectations, and will be of immediate benefit to me in my clinical practice. Highly recommended. I have already recommended this training to a couple of other clinicians.
- Even though I have done extensive reading about CBT-I, this training was tremendously helpful. It provided a detailed plan of what information to provide to patients and ways to present it so that patients will understand key concepts. I now have all the tools I need to start a CBT-I program and a lot more confidence.
- The training was terrific: packed with information, clearly presented. Thanks so much!
- This training was one of the most comprehensive and practical trainings I’ve ever completed. Because the training covered so much information, I really felt ready and able to put what I learned into practice immediately.
- I was extremely impressed with this CBT-I training. There is finally a practical and healthy method for patients to resolve or diminish their sleeping issues. I recommend this training to any professional who is open minded about the lack of necessity for medications to treat insomnia.
- I recently completed Dr. Jacobs’ CBT-I training and can say without reservation that it was excellent and surpassed all my expectations. It was very organized and thorough. I would recommend this training to anyone who is interested in treating patients with insomnia.
- The training was informative and thorough. Unlike some trainings that often fall short on treatment application, this CBT-I training geared towards providing practical strategies to share with patients. It provided everything needed to inform, assess, and treat people with insomnia in a clear and concise session by session protocol that is empirically based and clinically tested.
- Not only was this training extremely informative, it kept my interest throughout. We have already started structuring our program to include CBT-I. I feel completely comfortable starting CBT-I. I wouldn’t change a thing with your course it’s a great learning experience!
- The training was rigorous, well presented and stimulating. I came away feeling it was very effective and practical. The concepts and ideas presented are immediately applicable for use with patients.
- I am a satisfied customer. The program was excellent, and the research basis is very convincing- even to my most skeptical colleagues.
Clinicians who purchase the manual and webinar and who are accepting patients will be listed on Dr. Jacobs’ website (www.cbtforinsomnia.com/cbt-i-treatment) as a resource for patients seeking CBT-I therapists after passing a 25 question posttest exam. His website is one of the top websites in search engines for patients searching for CBT-I.
Clinicians will also receive a frameable certificate showing they have been certified as a CBT-I clinician, have completed Dr. Jacobs’ CBT-I training manual and webinar, and have demonstrated proficiency in his CBT-I program that was developed and tested at Harvard Medical School. PLEASE NOTE: CE credits are not available for the manual and webinar.
The CBT-I Clinical Training Manual and Webinar enables clinicians and other professionals to develop competence in CBT-I using an empirically and clinically validated CBT-I protocol. It is based on over 30 years of clinical practice at Harvard Medical School and the University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center by Dr. Jacobs involving over 10,000 insomnia patients. The manual and webinar are also based on extensive empirical research on CBT-I, including a landmark federally-funded study conducted at Harvard Medical School by Dr. Jacobs and colleagues demonstrating that the same CBT protocol described in the CBT-I manual and webinar was more effective than Ambien ((Jacobs, GD, et al. Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Pharmacotherapy for Insomnia: a Randomized Controlled Trial and Direct Comparison. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2004, 164: 1888-96)
The CBT-I clinical training manual is a detailed, 180 page PDF manual that is updated annually and is intended for all clinicians and professionals who see clients or patients and wish to develop expertise in CBT-I. It contains modules on:
- Sleep and insomnia: basic concepts
- Sleep medications
- Assessment of insomnia patients
- Theory and rationale for the CBT-I techniques used to treat insomnia including cognitive restructuring, sleep scheduling, stimulus control, relaxation, sleep hygiene, and medication tapering techniques
- Step-by-step 5 session treatment manuals for groups and individuals
- Fees and billing information for mental health professionals.
- Potential clinical issues
The CBT-I manual also includes all program materials (relaxation techniques MP3, sleep diaries, progress summaries, sleep history questionnaire, and brochures) and extensive focus articles. It is available for solo clinicians for $195, sleep clinics and group practices for a discounted price of $295 (maximum of two clinicians), and institutions for a discounted price of $395 (maximum of three clinicians). PLEASE NOTE: For solo clinicians who do not wish to be listed on our website as a CBT-I clinician, and do not wish to be certified as a CBT-I clinician, the price of the solo manual is $145. To receive this discounted price as a $50 refund, solo clinicians must email us after purchase at firstname.lastname@example.org stating they do not desire listing and certification.
The CBT-I manual and webinar are delivered electronically at purchase.
For ordering information, click here.
For monthly patient and CBT-I clinician QA case example, click here.
To learn more about Dr. Jacobs’ CBT-I workshops for your clinical organization, email us at email@example.com.