CBT-I Clinical Training Manual, Webinar, and Certification
Chronic insomnia is highly prevalent as a primary or co-morbid disorder. CBT-I is now considered the first-line treatment for chronic insomnia in adults due to its superior long-term efficacy, lack of side effects, and patient preference. It is also the most efficacious psychological therapy for a health problem. It improves sleep in 70-80% of patients, is more effective than sleeping pills and reduces or eliminates sleeping pills in the vast majority of patients, and doubles the improvement rates of depression compared to antidepressant medication alone in depressed patients with insomnia. It also improves other co-morbidities including pain and fibromyalgia, substance abuse, PTSD, and menopausal hot flashes. As a result, chronic insomnia is now considered an independent disorder that should be treated separately from co-morbid conditions.
Compared to CBT-I, sedative-hypnotics are associated with significant side effects and dangers including elevated mortality risk that has resulted in new FDA black box warnings about the potentially fatal side effects of Ambien, Lunesta, and Sonata. As a result of the black box warning, more patients and their physicians will be choosing CBT-I as a safe and more effective treatment option. However, there is a dire shortage of clinicians and sleep clinics with expertise in CBT-I due to a scarcity of training opportunities in this area.
For all clinicians and professionals who see clients or patients and wish to develop expertise in CBT-I, Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs, a behavioral sleep medicine specialist and CBT-I expert, offers a CBT-I clinical training manual, a two hour webinar that accompanies the manual, and CBT-I certification. This is the only CBT-I manual and webinar currently available that provides a state-of-the-art, empirically validated CBT-I five session protocol and CBT-I certification.
Several thousand clinicians have been trained in CBT-I with Dr. Jacobs’ clinician training manual and webinar. A sample of their testimonials:
- The program was excellent, and the research basis is very convincing- even to my most skeptical colleagues.
- I have had a 100% success rate in clients who have completed the CBT-I program! I am so thrilled to have this opportunity to assist my clients.
- We have two clinicians trained through your CBT-I program. We are currently teaching the program with wonderful success and have a large number of patients on a long waiting list to get into the class!
- This was a great course that provided all the information and materials to allow for the immediate use of CBT-I in my practice. Everything was organized. I highly recommend it to anyone in clinical practice.
- This training ranks very high in my experience, in the amount of useful information effectively presented in a concise format. It had just the right balance of technical instruction and review of supporting research. Dr. Jacobs provided a complete, efficient, well-organized training in a protocol that I can begin implementing in my practice immediately.
- I want to thank you for this CBT-I training. I would highly recommend it others. It’s amazing to see how far the field of insomnia treatment has come. You’ve made a big contribution to the field. Thank you.
- This CBT-I training was excellent. It was well-structured and clear, and covered both theory and clinical application of this empirically sound and effective treatment. The knowledge and useful skills, as well as materials provided, exceeded my expectations, and will be of immediate benefit to me in my clinical practice. Highly recommended. I have already recommended this training to a couple of other clinicians.
- Even though I have done extensive reading about CBT-I, this training was tremendously helpful. It provided a detailed plan of what information to provide to patients and ways to present it so that patients will understand key concepts. I now have all the tools I need to start a CBT-I program and a lot more confidence.
- I am thrilled to recently complete your training in CBT-I. Many colleagues have spoken positively both about the training experience and its efficacy.
Clinicians who purchase the manual and webinar and who are accepting patients will be listed on Dr. Jacobs’ website (www.cbtforinsomnia.com/cbt-i-treatment) as a resource for patients seeking CBT-I therapists after passing a 25 question posttest exam. His website is one of the top websites in search engines for patients searching for CBT-I.
Clinicians will also receive a frameable certificate showing they have been certified as a CBT-I clinician, have completed Dr. Jacobs’ CBT-I training manual and webinar, and have demonstrated proficiency in his CBT-I program that was developed and tested at Harvard Medical School. PLEASE NOTE: CE credits are not available for the manual and webinar.
The CBT-I Clinical Training Manual and Webinar enables clinicians and other professionals to develop competence in CBT-I using an empirically and clinically validated CBT-I protocol for adults. It is based on over 30 years of clinical practice at Harvard Medical School and the University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center by Dr. Jacobs involving over 10,000 insomnia patients. The manual and webinar are also based on extensive empirical research on CBT-I, including a landmark federally-funded study conducted at Harvard Medical School by Dr. Jacobs and colleagues demonstrating that the same CBT protocol described in the CBT-I manual and webinar was more effective than Ambien ((Jacobs, GD, et al. Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Pharmacotherapy for Insomnia: a Randomized Controlled Trial and Direct Comparison. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2004, 164: 1888-96)
The CBT-I clinical training manual is a detailed, 180 page PDF manual that is updated annually and is intended for all clinicians and professionals who see clients or patients and wish to develop expertise in CBT-I. It contains modules on:
- Sleep and insomnia: basic concepts
- Sleep medications
- Assessment of insomnia patients
- Theory and rationale for the CBT-I techniques used to treat insomnia including cognitive restructuring, sleep scheduling, stimulus control, relaxation, sleep hygiene, and medication tapering techniques
- Step-by-step 5 session treatment manuals for groups and individuals
- Fees and billing information for mental health professionals.
- Potential clinical issues
The CBT-I manual also includes all program materials (relaxation techniques MP3, sleep diaries, progress summaries, sleep history questionnaire, and brochures) and extensive focus articles. It is available for solo clinicians for $195, sleep clinics and group practices for a discounted price of $295 (maximum of two clinicians), and institutions for a discounted price of $395 (maximum of three clinicians).
The CBT-I manual and webinar are delivered electronically at purchase.
For ordering information, click here.
To learn more about Dr. Jacobs’ CBT-I workshops for your clinical organization, click here.
For more information on Dr. Jacobs’ day-long CBT-I trainings in Los Angeles, California (June 20, 2020), Manchester, New Hampshire (September 21, 2020), and Bend, Oregon (September 25, 2020) that include CE credits, please email us at email@example.com.
For monthly patient and CBT-I clinician QA case example, click here.